|Arriving on Station's Place and lookin behind us, here is the Railway Station Street, which entrance
was formerly barred with gates.
Some years later, the gates have been pulled away. The little building of the old tollhouse still remains, under the tree on the right. It's a souvenir of the time where all merchandises were taxed before entering the city.
The Post Office is located on the right side of the place. It was built in 1894, under the german administration, by the architect Bettcher, in a neo-Renaissance style. During several years, it was called "Die neue Post" (the new post), in opposition to the old one which was installed in the building now housing the "Metzger & Weil" shop. Its aspect is still the same today and the building is still the main post office of Saverne. Another modern building has been built behind it, in order to install an automatic numeric telephone switch.
Let's continue our walk and have a look to the various monuments of the city.
[Back to start] [The middle city] [The River Zorn] [The Canal]
© Thierry Heitmann - 1997-2001